Tactile Maps by InTouch Graphics
Our Tactile Maps for the Blind Make Campuses Accessible
Tactile maps help blind or partially sighted people navigate outdoor or indoor spaces. 3D touch graphics include Braille and large high-contrast elements.
Raised-relief graphics provide a valuable complement to audio wayfinding devices that a blind or partially sighted traveler might use. Tactile maps also give valuable access to information to deafblind travelers.
Our maps utilize an easy-to-read tactile-visual symbol system. They come with a map key and directory of locations, and can also be designed with an X/Y coordinate system for quick tactile navigation.
A tactile map of a college, at a minimum, might consist of a bird’s eye view of the outdoor campus layout, highlighting prominent landmarks. In addition, maps can be designed of indoor floor plans of any important buildings.
Our accessible maps typically include main campus buildings, doors, accessible entrances, grass areas, roads and adjacent streets, stairs, parking areas, main walking paths, ramps, and any other features that are determined to be appropriate for representation.
Our Experience in Tactile Graphics
InTouch Graphics has been designing and producing wayfinding maps for the blind, for indoor and outdoor installation settings, for over 30 years.
Our combined experience in blindness education, graphic design, and cartography significantly distinguishes us from other tactile mapmakers. We have over 35 years of direct experience teaching orientation and mobility skills to blind and deafblind adults, combined with 30 years of experience designing and producing tactile maps for the blind for indoor and outdoor settings. We have developed tactile mapping in partnership with ClickAndGo Wayfinding.
Our visual and tactile symbols are based upon feedback from low vision, blind and deafblind users. Visual and tactile information is presented clearly, identifying important landmarks which can assist in orientation, and doing so in a way that avoids both tactile and visual clutter.
Partial List of Previous Clients
- Cleveland State University
- Columbia University/Teachers College (NY)
- El Camino College (CA)
- Long Beach City College (CA)
- University of Georgia
- University of Tennessee
- University of Minnesota
- The International Spy Museum
- New York University
- Cerritos College (CA)
- Lavelle School for the Blind (NY)
- The Helen Keller National Center (NY)
- The California School for the Blind
- Kansas School for the Blind
- Bayside Area and Special Services Library for the Visually Impaired (Virginia Beach)
- The Childrens’ Museum of Indianapolis
- Queens College (NY)
- Guiding Eyes for the Blind (NY)
- Guide Dogs of America (CA)
- Seeing Eyes for the Blind (NJ)
- Leader Dog (MI)
- Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind (WA)
- Porterville College (CA)
- Minnesota State Services for the Blind
- New York State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped
- New York State Department of Transportation
- West Hills College Coalinga (CA)
- West Hills College Lemoore (CA)
- University of Alaska, Anchorage (AK)
- Washington State Department of Transportation